Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Saturday, June 23, 2007
I knew it was an important date, then the light bulb went on! I received my last pay cheque 12 months ago. It seems a lot longer!
I used to be all about cash at the end of the month, now its about the asset - some big things happening in the background and I will have some announcements in the near future.
We've kept the vision going with founding investment funds, and grant aid.
The grant is tax free, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That includes revenue staff. I challenged an initial 'yes it is taxable', went up the chain and received a 'no it is not taxable, we regret the inconvenience caused'.
I have a letter from the revenue to prove it.
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Be careful when signing up, there is a limit of 500 unique emails sent per account per 24 hours.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
I've been tagged by Paul in an effort to improve the page rank of charities.
I have added only one that has particular relevance to us.
- MS Society Ireland
- Irish Red Cross
- Cancer.ie - Irish Cancer Society
- Irish Hospice Foundation - Hospice and palliative care in Ireland
- Barnardos - Ireland’s leading children’s charity
- The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity - Polish Charity
- CPR For Schools Across Poland - CPR Training
- Program of Insulin Pumps in Diabetic Children Therapy - Insulin Pumps For Children
- Non-invasive Neonatal Breathing Support - Infant Flow
- Program of Universal Neonatal Hearing Screenings - Neonatal Hearing
- American Red Cross - disaster relief
- Raleigh Rescue Mission - homeless raleigh
- Samaritan’s Purse - emergency relief programs
- St. Jude Children’s Hospital - cancer research
- Medecins Sans Frontieres / Doctors Without Borders - Humanitarian Relief
- American Red Cross - Emergency Preparedness
- AMREF - African Medical & Research Foundation - African Health Development
- DOROT - Programs for Elderly
- Feed the Children - Protect Children
- Service International - Disaster Relief
- Pujols Family Foundation - Children with Down Syndrome
- National Alliance to End Homelessness - Homelessness
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research - Parkinson’s Research
- Ronald McDonald Care Mobile Program - Child Healthcare
- Aids Research Alliance - Aids Research
- Wildlife Conservation Society - Wildlife Protection
- Cancer Research Institute - Cancer Research
- Second Harvest - End Hunger
- AARP Foundation - Helping Senior Citizens
- Bubblegum Club - Children In Crisis
- Autism NI - Autism Northern Ireland
- Adoption Ireland - Irish Adoption Charity
- Ireland Funds - Peace and Reconciliation In Ireland
- Dublin Simon Community - Combating Homelessness in Dublin
To continue the meme I tag:
Monday, June 18, 2007
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
My posts to the Ruby Ireland group aren't getting through.
I spoke at the ruby ireland meetup last night.
The topic of conversation Amazon's EC2 service and rails.
Loads of interest in the topic. The idea having large scale computing power ondemand is obviously a game changer.
Some gotchas still but they were covered, in typical fashion when programmers get together solutions were being offered in the room.
Slides are below. You can also join the ruby ireland group on slideshare.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
A few attempts to IM me, and I'm away from my desk :(
Pidgen(formerly gaim) changes my status to 'Away' after 5 minutes.
The plugoo widget appears to pick that up in a forced test, now for a live test (twiddle my thumbs for 5 minutes!).
For widget heaven see widgetbox.
Monday, June 04, 2007
I've added a plugoo widget to this blog. It allows readers to send me an instant message.
I previously tried the equivalent Meebo widget after seeing it on Damien's blog. I quickly discarded it when I discovered it required a change in behaviour - you have to login to Meebo's service to receive the instant messages.
Don't get me wrong Meebo is an excellent solution. Its a web based multi-protocol instant messenger allowing you to login into MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk and AIM simultaneously. However, I use pidgen (formerly gaim) for that same purpose. Furthermore, pidgen runs on the desktop and in the background. Meebo requires the browser to be open and the user to be logged into the Meebo service.
Plugoo's big plus is that it allows you to receive instant messages regardless of the client in use.
Send me a message. I'll get it this time!